Long exceptional village ...
Flint scrapers found in the peat dating from the earlier Palaeolithic period testify to the presence of man in the territory of Long for several thousand years.
Likewise, the Roman occupation is proved by the discovery of amphorae, one of which was filled with nearly 900 bronze Roman coins. Long takes its name from Lungam, Longum Superiorem. The name of this village appears for the first time in a charter granted by Charles the Bald in 844 at the monastery of St Riquier.
Its name is explained by the fact that the village originally stretched from the river Somme to the hamlet of Le Catelet. In the late 12th or early 13th century, the village changed site, the unending wars forcing the Longiniens to build their houses near the castle.
When Nature meeets Heritage ...
Due to the extraction and the sale of peat, at the end of the 19 century, Long became one the richest villages of France. By using the Grand Louchet, a special long handed spade invented by Eloi Morel, the peat workers spared no effort to extract the precious fuel, thus shaping a landscape of typical marsh ponds called “Ches intailles”.
From the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes, at the top of the hill, you will discover the beautiful landscape fashioned by the peat workers, made of ponds and lush marshes.
Long has a marshland of top European quality which is the delight of hikers, fishermen and lovers of hide shooting. There is also a fishing association aptly named “Au Paradis du pêcheurs”, which offers all kinds of fishing and has set up a fishing school. Camargue horses see to the ecological upkeep of the marshland.
The Chateau and garden
The Chateau of Long, built in
the early eighteen century and called “La folie de Bussy” – overlooks the River Somme. The visitor can admire its stone and brick facades with three prominent pavilions and Mansard roof. This
Chateau is furnished in exquisite taste. You will discover :
- The Golden Room, a magnificent large lounge decorated with the signs of the zodiac
- The dining room with its music corner
- The boudoir and romantic bedroom
- The library, the winter garden, the kitchen, the orangery and many other things…
- The main courtyard, surrounded by many statues is planted with 300 rose bushes. In its centre, a beautiful fountain with water jets gives the whole picture a startling effect.
- The farm forecourt with its dovecote, various tree arrangements, the Garden of Helen, a multitude of flowers and shrubs, the pond, the wash-house, the ice-house and the beautiful greenhouses create a superb park, which has been included in the list of the most outstanding “parcs et jardins” (parks and gardens) of the Somme Department.
July / August: Guided tours in the Chateau at 3 and 5pm.
The parks opens from 10 am to 6pm. Closed on Sundays.
All year round by appointment - Minimum 10 people.
Phone: 00 33 7 86 16 77 23 / Mobile: 00 33 6 08 49 60 04
The lock House
The lock house: between nature, culture and heritage.
Come and visit our monthly exiting exhibitions focusing on nature, heritage and traditions!
Take part of various and fun workshops, be creative and get inspired by our amazing natural and built heritage.
Discover the rich local legacy and old trades that used to take place in our village.
In each season, Amanda and Jérémie have a programme that will please your sense of adventure… and curiosity!
The lock house is also your best starting point for cycling, kayaking and paddling away. (Rental on site).
Enjoy the many attractions of the Somme Valley and the Véloroute, find out about the touristic sites at our “Bureau d’Information Touristique” and enter the soon-to-be “Parc Naturel Régional Baie de Somme Picardie Maritime"
Facebook : Maison-éclusière-de-Long
Phone : 00 33 9 64 46 87 76
Rent an electric boat in Long
It is also possible for you to rent an electric boat here in Long. Please call the following number: 00 33 6 07 63 89 92.
The "Pass Long"
An unforgettable experience…
Get your pass for a memorable journey in our village!
1 - Visit the beautiful parc of the Château
2 - Have a tasty lunch at François’,
3 - Enjoy a fun tour in an electric boat on the Somme river!
30 euros per person only.
For information and booking, call : 00 33 6 07 63 89 92
The Hydro-Electric Generating Station
At the end of the 19th century, the Town Council decided to be at the forefront of progress and to offer residents a quality of life which would remain exceptional for decades.
This Generating Station has supplied direct current at 110 volts until 1968 and water until 1974. Visiting this museum with its “décor à la Jules Vernes” is like a voyage back in time.
The guide will explain the extraordinary history of this Hydro-Electric Generating Station and you will be able to experience the magic moment of the Fairy Electricity.
The Church of St John the Baptist
The Church in neo-gothic style was rebuilt from 1846 to 1851 on the site of the first 12th century church. The patron Saint is St John the Baptist and the bell tower dates from the 16th century. A wonderful and very rare Cavaillé-Coll Organ (listed) was installed there in 1887. Well known organists from all over the world love to come and perform.
Opening hours: Free visit in July and August. Tuesdays and Saturdays from 4 to 6pm. free admission.
Don’t forget to visit us on June 23rd at 9:30pm for our annual Bonfire of St John the “Ech fu d’os”, the bone fire of Long, an ancient tradition, is one of the most spectacular in France… Do not leave without taking away a charred log, which will protect your home…
- Town hall with belfry dating from 1869
- Véloroute Vallée de Somme”, green route for cycling along the Somme and 65 km. of hiking paths in the Picardy countryside
- Municipal Camp site with 120 places, parking for motor homes and landing stage for 10 boats, unusual gite for rent for up to 6 people above the former Generating Station.
- Accommodation in the heart of the village
- Restaurant "Le Comptoir Bleu" with terrace overlooking the Somme Phone: 00 33 364 24 44 52